Answered By: Jeanette Aprile Last Updated: Apr 18, 2019 Views: 2
Because of copyright restrictions, rules and policies for accessing e-books can vary.
NYMC provides numerous ways to find and read e-books on the web:
1. Through searching in the library e-resources portal and limiting to Books Only
2. Through searching directly in the following databases:
- AccessMedicine: A wide range of medical textbooks organized by discipline. Unlimited access for NYMC affiliates.
- ClinicalKey (limit your search to books): Read online by selecting the chapter/section of interest from the table of contents. Download/pdf allowance varies by book. (NYMC users only.)
- NCBI Bookshelf: Free, publicly available e-books provided by the National Institutes of Health. Unlimited access for download.
- R2 Digital Library: Read-online only for NYMC affiliates. Views are limited to 3 views per book, per user.
- E-book Central: Read-online for NYMC affiliates. Viewing, download, and printing restrictions vary by book.
- E-book Collection: Read-online for NYMC affiliates. Viewing, download, and printing restrictions vary by book.
Restrictions on e-books:
- Some e-books are available for unrestricted download chapter-by-chapter by clicking on the table of contents, selecting a chapter, and saving it as a pdf. However, for copyright reasons, many e-books are not available for download/printing. Depending on the e-book, some will be available for download/printing with a page limit, and others not all.
- E-books in the the R2 Digital Library, E-book Central, and the E-book Collection may be accessible to only a few users at one time. If you are unable to view an e-book, it may be because the number of library users currently viewing the book have exceeded the copyright allowance. Try viewing the book at a later time.
- Additionally, books in the R2 Digital Library become inaccessible after 3 uses. When a book is no longer accessible you will see the following message:
This title is being considered for purchase by the library and is currently not accessible. Please click here to contact your library administrator for more information. The information for this title will be automatically included in your message.
E-books are not available through interlibrary loan.